SSH (Secure Shell) keys are a popular method of securing access to servers and other networked devices. With SSH keys, users can authenticate themselves with a private key instead of a password, making it more secure and easier to manage access to multiple systems. In this blog post, we will show you how to create SSH keys in Windows.
Step 1: Install OpenSSH on Windows
Before you can create SSH keys on Windows, you need to install OpenSSH. OpenSSH is a free and open-source implementation of the SSH protocol that is used to secure remote access to servers and other networked devices.
To install OpenSSH on Windows, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu and search for “Settings”.
- Click on “Apps” and then select “Optional features”.
- Click on “Add a feature” and then select “OpenSSH Client”.
- Click “Install” and wait for the installation to complete.
Once OpenSSH is installed, you can proceed to create SSH keys.
Step 2: Open PowerShell
To create SSH keys on Windows, you need to use PowerShell. PowerShell is a command-line interface that is used to run commands and scripts in Windows.
To open PowerShell, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu and search for “PowerShell”.
- Click on “Windows PowerShell” to open the PowerShell command-line interface.
Step 3: Create SSH Keys
To create SSH keys in Windows, follow these steps:
- In PowerShell, type the following command to create a new SSH key pair:
- Press Enter to accept the default options, or enter a passphrase to secure the private key.
- The SSH key pair will be generated and stored in the default location. You can view the public key by typing the following command:
- Copy the public key and paste it into the authorized_keys file on the server you wish to access using SSH.
Step 4: Test Your SSH Keys
To test your SSH keys, follow these steps:
- Open a new PowerShell window.
- Type the following command to connect to the server using SSH:
- If the SSH keys are configured correctly, you will be prompted to enter the passphrase (if one was set) and then you will be logged in to the server.
Creating SSH keys in Windows is a straightforward process that can greatly improve the security and ease of access to remote systems. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can create SSH keys on your Windows machine and use them to securely authenticate yourself with servers and other networked devices.
Read More Articles: